Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] rev 13924: /trunk/epan/dissectors/: packet

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:55:48 +0200
Since I think it is important for an application to be
consistent for the user I always (in the SCTP, SIGTRAN and
SS7 dissectors I wrote) to go the exception way...
But SCTP and SIGTRAN all use the TLV principle, so I
can 'just' continue except the the packet/chunk/parameter
is too short. But I can even test for this to avoid raising
an exception. Currently I thought that there is this mechanism
and it is the easiest to use it. Testing for this to avoid
the exceptions is like programming for the pre-tvb API... It
can be done. This would mean that every 'malformed frame' exception
is due to some not intra-dissector handling of packets and
therefore is something which should be done better.

So if the 'common' way for error handling is to avoid exceptions
I'll update the SCTP und SIGTRAN dissectors. But you should see in
the uppermost pane that a packet has a formatting problem, so
possible a hidden field *.packet_error or so should be set. Then
one can define a color rule for that.

Best regards
Michael