Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Debian ethereal-dev package: missing libgtk2.0-dev dependency

From: Frederic Peters <fpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:08:20 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:

> You seem to maintain the Ethereal packages at debian.
>
> As I don't know if you are on the Ethereal developer list, I'm CC'ing you.

I'm on but only play catch up with it a few times a week.

> I've recently installed debian on my laptop, it's missing all the
> development tools and libraries, so I have a "clean start". I've
> first installed the ethereal and then the ethereal-dev package.
>
> Then I've recognized, that the dependency to libgtk2.0-dev is
> missing. That way, you can compile tethereal and the other tools,
> but not Ethereal itself.

ethereal-dev is packaged to compile ethereal plugins, not to compile
ethereal itself.  Build dependencies are listed in debian/control,
Build-depends field:

 Build-Depends: libgtk2.0-dev (>=2.4.0-0), libpcap0.8-dev, flex,
  libz-dev, debhelper (>= 3.0), libtool, python, automake, autoconf,
  autotools-dev, libadns1-dev, xsltproc, docbook-xsl (>= 1.64.1.0-0),
  libpcre3-dev

There is a tool called dpkg-checkbuilddeps that can output things like
this:
  dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libpcap0.8-dev

> There seems to be other additional packages (kerberos, SSL crypto),
> but I don't know which libraries needed for these.

The ethereal debian package is not compiled against OpenSSL since its
license is incompatible with the GNU GPL.  This was already mentioned
a few years ago on this list.  For the record it would need the
authors to agree on the following note:

   In addition, as a special exception, the authors gives permission
   to link the code of its release of Ethereal with the OpenSSL
   project's "OpenSSL" library (or with modified versions of it that
   use the same license as the "OpenSSL" library), and distribute the
   linked executables.  You must obey the GNU General Public License
   in all respects for all of the code used other than "OpenSSL".  If
   you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version
   of the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not
   wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.

Regards,

        Frederic