Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] plugins version-subdirectory: Why?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:32:52 +0100
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:20:36PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Let's be honest here: We change the plugin API in *every release*!! So
> what will be the benefit? Replacing version certainty by guesswork isn't
> a good idea IMHO.

While we change the API more often than we don't, it's not just any
patch that breaks things. The patches normally jsut *add* *new* calls
but seldom *change* *old* ones. So plugins written for lets say 0.10.2
would probably still work with 0.10.9 (not verified).
And that's what this thread started with (IIRC, which I might not):
Letting people know whether they really need to rebuild their plugins
for the new version or not. And this is something that your proposed
approach fails to achieve.

 Ciao
      Joerg