Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] plugins version-subdirectory: Why?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:20:36 +0100
Lars Roland wrote:

Ashok Narayanan schrieb:

Doesn't that force us to do something like 0.10.55 if we don't update
the plugin API for some time?

No, a changed plugin api is one reason to increase the minor version number. There are other reasons, too. Currently the plugin directory changes with each release. Using only the major and the minor version number would let us have the same directory for a longer time.

Let's be honest here: We change the plugin API in *every release*!! So what will be the benefit? Replacing version certainty by guesswork isn't a good idea IMHO.

Using this new versioning scheme, we *might* have a different API version number, but we usually will have the same version as Ethereal itself.

Having a slightly different version for Ethereal and plugins would be the worst thing we could have. This will be *really* confusing.

More useful would be some sort of plugin API versioning that would
automatically refuse to load plugins if the API version isn't right.

We already refuse to load plugins which use an unsupported API. However, real API versioning would be something nice to have.

I'm very unsure, that we refuse to load a plugin, if the API slightly changed. If some API function uses a different parameter profile, I guess this will simply crash Ethereal while loading a plugin using this function.

Or am I wrong here?

Summarize: Unless we have a reliable method of detecting a plugin API version conflict (and I currently don't know a simple way doing this), we shouldn't change it the way described for the reasons above. *If* we have a method of detecting it, there would be no need for versioning the plugin API at all.

Regards, ULFL