Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Problem in filtering

From: "harshas" <harshas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:53:47 +0530
Hello list,
   I am using ethereal 10.7 version for decoding of the captured file.I am reading a
   captured file and the read information from the captured file I am printing in the
   ethereal using col_add_str in dissectors.I am printing the hex bytes in the third pane and decoded tree in the second pane. It works fine.
I  am going to read all the captured file ('N' number of packets) at once and print it
 using the way,

  if (check_col(pinfo->cinfo, COL_DEF_SRC))
     col_set_str(pinfo->cinfo, COL_DEF_SRC, "xxx");
  if (check_col(pinfo->cinfo, COL_DEF_DST))
     col_add_str(pinfo->cinfo, COL_DEF_DST, "xxx");
  if (check_col(pinfo->cinfo, COL_PROTOCOL))
      col_add_str(pinfo->cinfo, COL_PROTOCOL, "xxx");
  if (check_col(pinfo->cinfo,COL_INFO))
       col_add_str(pinfo->cinfo,COL_INFO,"xxx");
And each time when a packet is selected I am going to get the corresponding hex bytes and decode it.

1. I have a problem in filtering using the "frame number as the filed". If I give an
   _expression_ like "frame.number > 100"  I will get all the filterd packets with frame     number  > 100 ,fine but the value of the columns like source,destination,packet_info will remain unchanged .ie One packet value is printed for all the packets filtered after giveing the filtering _expression_. Is it the problem of the way I read the captured file?

2.  My second question is in filtering routine is it possible to filter based on the values
    of the second window ,for example "decoded value == 'xx' " and so on?.

3. Do ethereal needs to register the fields which I want to decode based on those  fields.?

If any body can help please help me,

regards
   Harsha