Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Set a link from the webpage to the development part wiki / mo

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:31 +0100
On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 12:50:04PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What about moving the complete content of the development pages to the
> wiki? http://www.ethereal.com/development.html ->
> http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development
>
> That way, me and others can edit things, and in the long term, we could
> have every piece of devel info in one place.

And that place one place are the sources, where development is done. There
is no need to keep the documentation in a different place than the source.
I do most of my work on Ethereal on trains or in hotel rooms - both cases
where I normally do not have internet access.

I'd also be happy if I could continue reading the documentation with 'vim',
which is also the editor I'm using to edit the source.

> So I'm currently a bit unsure how to go on from here. My feeling is,
> that it might be the best idea to move all "written" stuff to the wiki,
> so all developers are able to edit things. That way we might get
> improvements not only done by the happy few of us knowing docbook or
> being able to check things into SVN. In opposite to this, the doxygen
> tags might do the API documentation, which seems to be a good
> combination in my eyes.

I agree that the documentation is in too many places, but I think that
the source is and remains the best place for it.

 Ciao
   Joerg