Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new init functions for plugins (preparation of removal of old

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:07:26 -0800
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Hmmm, when grep through the code, I can only find plugin_register, but no plugin_init() or new_plugin_init() ?!?

I renamed the routines "plugin_register()", as that's what a plugin containing a dissector would have - it's the dissector registration routine.

A plugin containing a tap would have a "plugin_register_tap_listener()" routine; it wouldn't need a "plugin_register()" routine unless it has both a dissector *and* a tap. (Note that a tap would have to avoid having any GUI code, as it'd be loaded both by Ethereal and Tethereal - it would have to use the stats-tree stuff added by Luis Ontanon.

A plugin with "plugin_init()" is assumed to be an old-style plugin.