Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new init functions for plugins (preparation of removal of old

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:22:30 +0100
Lars Roland wrote:

Hello all,

I've just checked in the final preparations for dropping the old plugin api.

I'm glad to see this happen :-)

I'd like to get rid of it after next release. Or should we get rid of it even before?

Letting the plugin builders have a chance to update might be a good idea (at least for one release cycle), however, the changes in the plugin sources are almost trivial.

This step introduces new_plugin_init() which replaces plugin_init() in all plugins.

Hmmm, when grep through the code, I can only find plugin_register, but no plugin_init() or new_plugin_init() ?!?

Plugins using plugin_init() will still work as long as the old api is supported, but a warning will pop up, if ethereal loads such a plugin.

You might consider add something like: "Please contact your plugin manufacturer for an updated plugin version." to the dialog box text.

The official plugin have been updated already. Anyone with private plugins is encouraged to update them.

Just did that. After replacing plugin_init with plugin_register it's working again without a warning :-)

doc/README.plugins has been updated, too.

There's only one appearance of plugin_init(), that confused me.

How to update a plugin:

Don't bury this info in this mail, but add (append?) it to the README.developer file might be a good idea.

Regards, ULFL