Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.10 next week?

From: Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:04:38 +0100
ronnie sahlberg schrieb:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:37:46 +0100, Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

How about grouping dissectors together in sub directories of epan/dissectors?
I don't like to have 700 files in just a single directory.
I'd like to suggest following groups for dissectors:
- Layer 2 Protocols
- Layer 3 Protocols
- Layer 4 Protocols
- ASN.1 based protocols
- text based protocols, e.g. HTTP, SIP, MGCP (depluginized), ...
- dcerpc dissectors
- aim dissectors

this is a good idea.

though i like everything in one directory due to its grep'ability

I don't want to have too many directories, too.
Its annoying to have a directory for each plugin while most plugins contain just a single dissector. A dissector subdirectory should contain at least a dozen dissectors.