Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.10 next week?

From: Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:52:52 +0100
Guy Harris schrieb:
ronnie sahlberg wrote:

why not call it 1.0

Because I don't want somebody to complain when I change the way strings are handled so that we can cope with strings in messages being in various character sets?

Calling it 1.0 is fine, I guess, as long aa the internal API for dissectors, etc. can still change without people having any chance to complain that their old plugins no longer work. (Yes, I know, some people are *already* hoping to build plugins that work with multiple releases.)

I am just preparing removal of the old plugin api.
When dropping the old api, everybody with private plugins will have to apply some small changes.

I am already at commiting a patch, which will do the final preparation. The patch introduces a warning for plugins which haven't been updated, yet. The old api and support for plugins using it, will be dropped in another small patch later.

I suggest to add the first patch now, so it gets into 0.10.10 and add the second patch, which will drop the old api, after release 0.10.10. After dropping the old api, we should move on to either 1.0 or 0.11.0.

Regards,
Lars