Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] plugin development

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:41:28 +0100
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:18:11AM -0300, Victor Souza wrote:
> I've developed an Ethereal plugin and now I have to know how can I compile
> this plugin under linux and windows whitout having to compile the whole
> program again!!!

Basically, you are out of luck here: Compiling Plugins outside the source
tree is not supported by our build environment. This begins with the needed
include paths, continues with the fact that we do not install any inlcudes
for oot compiles.

> Remenber, if you know, how do I compile it under Windows?

please read the toplevel README.win32 file: It contains the information.

> PS: This plugin will be installed in several machines running different
> versions of Ethereal.

Unfortunately you currently cannot see whether the api changed between two
Ethereal releases, but you can safely assume that it changed between any
two versions - in the past it changed more often than it didn't.
Result: You will need to recompile it for every version.

 Ciao
      Joerg

PS: To all: Could we change the numbering scheme to increase the middle number
        whenever there is an incompatible plugin api change?
PPS: To all: Is there some real interest to create an Ethereal-devel package
        that contains the necessary files to allow oot compiles for plugins?