Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New dissector: packet-retix-bpdu.c

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:39:15 -0800
Guy Harris wrote:

Or perhaps 3Com's old SMB-over-XNS. I think 0x80 as an LSAP is assigned to 3Com.

That appears to be what it is. I've added a dissector for what appears to be 3Com's scheme for encapsulating XNS over Token Ring (and other protocols using 802.2 LLC), where an LSAP of 0x80 is used for that, and the first two bytes of the payload appear to be an Ethernet type.

It checks for a type of 0x0004 and calls the Retix BPDU dissector for those (perhaps Retix hijacked that LSAP or got permission to use it for their spanning tree protocol). Try it with captures you have and see if it misses any - perhaps it needs to check for non-Ethernet-type values there.

(I also have a reasonably recent 802.11 capture from somebody that has packets with a DSAP of 0x80 and mysterious random stuff in the payload.)

I also added initial dissectors for XNS's IDP and SPP, derived from the Netware IPX and SPX dissectors (the latter protocols were derived from the former).