Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] VoIP calls analysis and text2pcap

From: "Jacques, Olivier (OCBU-Test Infra)" <olivier.jacques@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:47:10 +0100
> The problem with using Signalling Point Codes as node
> identities is that you lose information on IP level. If you
> had the following setup:
>
>    MTP3 speaker ------------- Router ---------------- MTP3 speaker
>
> the graph would be confusing. Of course it is also confusing
> in your case, but it seems somehow less usual. Maybe
> implementing both options would be useful; however, this is
> not trivial, because as far as I remember -I don't have my PC
> right now- SPCs are not among the addresses supported by
> ethereal as such. I'll have a look at it.

I understand this. Plus I have to admit that the case I'm explaining is
not usual. We are talking about Vo_IP_ calls, so IP addresses represent
the nodes.
And what I suggest is going away from initial Ethereal purpose which is
IP oriented.

So, don't spend too much time on that.

Best regards,
Olivier.