Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Fast querying of offline captures

From: Evan Hughes <evan.c.hughes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:18:46 -0500
Howdy,

   I've been doing some work with largish trace files (in the
neighbourhood of 1gig), and I noticed that display filters can take a
long time to execute. Has any consideration been given to using some
kind of indexing to accelerate work filtering of large data sets?

   More importantly, does dealing with such huge files seem to be a
common task, or am I just using ethereal in a way that it wasn't
intended to be used?

thanks,