Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ERTSP: Ethereal's RemoTe Sniffing Protocol

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:27:10 +1100
This thread should be moved to tcpdump-workers  since it is much more
important that they and winpcap agree on a common format and common
method to allow remote capturing and authentication  than ethereal
developers.

First one would have to decide, it is sufficient to just do
authentication  or is
integrity and / or privacy also required?

Second   do we need to support several types of authentication methods or is one
enough?  Since it is probably only a handful of apps that will ever
use this i think it would be sufficient to just use one single
authentication algorithm,    why not pick md5-hmac?

(hmac described in ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2104.txt )

Then let us define a simple rpcap url :
rpcap://<ip-address>[:tcp-port][@username$password:<method>/<interface>[:filter]

let method be "md5-hmac" to start with. md5-hmac is initially the only
supported authentication method.

when the client connects to the server it passes the rpcap url over to
the server, everything
EXCEPT  the $password part of the string in the very first pdu.

If the client does NOT specify a @username:<method> and the server is
configured to require authentication, then the server will immediately
RST the connection  and fill in some ascii text in the payload of the
RST segment   something like "Authentication not offered by client but
required by server policy".

If the client does specify a @username:<method> but method is NOT the
string  md5-hmac, then the server will respond with RST the session
and adding a payload to the RST segment "Client authentication
mechanism <method> not supported by server"

Othervise the server generates a 512 byte block of random data and
sends back to the client.

Client then takes this random block of data, and the password  and
calculates the md5-hmac of it and passes it back to the server.

Server goes to some config file and reads the password for  username
and repeats the same calculation of the block of random data and the
password.   If the hmac it gets back
from the client does not match the hmac it calculated itself it will
RST the connection
with the reason "authentication failed".

Othervise, everything is a-ok and we now proceed with the normal
exchange of rpcap packets.

The above would have to be wrapped into some sort of new command PDUs
for rpcap though,   and it would also have to be discussed with
libpcap people so they accept the solution as well.

Any specific authorization based on username is up to the server
application itself to decide on and should not be specified (user foo
can only capture from interface 5 on fridays between 7 and 9)

one could use something as simple as that.

when defining the pdu's please leave space/placeholders to also
negotiate integrity hash and privay if someone wants to add it in some
future.
i think just plain authentication is sufficient to start with.

see what tehy say    both md5 and hmac are very easy to implement.