Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems building Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:31:44 -0800
Joerg Mayer wrote:
I have a problem building Ethereal. It started a few days ago and occurs
during linking stage. Doing maintainer-clean and rebuilding did not help.
It complains about a missing register_tap_listener_h323_conversations_dlg and indeed,
that function is called but never provided:

jmayer@egg:~/work/ethereal/trunk> grep -r register_tap_listener_h323_conversations_dlg .
./gtk/ethereal-tap-register.c:  { extern void register_tap_listener_h323_conversations_dlg (void);
./gtk/ethereal-tap-register.c:    register_tap_listener_h323_conversations_dlg ();}
jmayer@egg:~/work/ethereal/trunk>

What is going wrong here?

I *think* the problem might be that the removal of a tap doesn't cause ethereal-tap-register.c to be rebuilt - I think that

	1) re-running autogen.sh;

	2) reconfiguring;

	3) removing gtk/ethereal-tap-register.c;

	4) rebuilding;

fixed it for me.

There's no MAINTAINERCLEANFILES in gtk/Makefile.am, so "make maintainer-clean" won't remove gtk/ethereal-tap-register.c. I'll look at adding the various "*register.c" files to MAINTAINERCLEANFILES in various Makefile.am files.