Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Next steps for privilege separation, some capture engine question

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:31:17 +0100
Hi List!

While whirling around the capturing code (hopefully not upset people too much), the major cleanup things I had in mind are done for now. Trying to reach some degree of stability again before doing the next steps.

So the next steps will be:

1.) Think about the usage of the capture_opts->save_file_id field, as I simply don't understand it completely 2.) Enable the capture child code to handle the multiple files feature, as this seems to be the last "big" feature missing before being able to always use the child mode for capturing :-) 3.) Always use the child mode for capturing, regardless of the "Update list of packets in Real Time" setting ;-)
4.) Carve a real capture child program out of the Ethereal code
5.) Cleanup the Ethereal code, as we can use the parent part only now (hopefully this will reduce the complexity of the code significantly)

Before it comes to 3.), 4.) and 5.) I have to do some more research.

If anyone can give me a hint (maybe Guy?) on the following:

To 1.) The capture_opts->save_file_id seems to be only used to close the capture file. Is this really needed, or can this be implemented easier/better? Maybe I'm too blind to see right now.

To 2.) How do I bring it to handle multiple files in capture child mode? The main problem I have is: how do I get the "last valid" ringbuffer filename from the capture child back into the main Ethereal task?

Again, sorry for any inconvenience,

Regards, ULFL