Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] rev 13293: /trunk/gtk/: main.c print_dlg.c /tr

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:14:22 +0100
guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

User: guy
Date: 2005/02/04 02:54 PM

Log:
Instead of having a single enumerated type for status return values from
cf_ functions, have separate ones for different classes of routines,
I can understand that point of view (still unsure what's the right way for this).

and
use gboolean when the return value is just "success" or "failure" - that
way you don't get compiler warnings if a case statement isn't handling a
particular status value if the routine in question won't return it.
Which compiler warning would that be? Sorry, I just don't understand that one.

Directory: /trunk/gtk/
 Changes    Path           Action
 +5 -8      main.c         Modified
 +9 -9      print_dlg.c    Modified

Directory: /trunk/
 Changes    Path           Action
 +25 -25    file.c         Modified
 +33 -28    file.h         Modified
 +3 -3      tethereal.c    Modified

Hi Guy!

Seems you've just reverted some of the changes I've made ?!? We should come to an agreement about this :-)

For the print functions, I would agree that both ways could be arguably be ok, so no problem with the changes you've made (that's just a matter of personal like/dislike IMHO).

But when it comes e.g. to the cf_filter_packets function, I would simply disagree, as an gboolean is unintuitive. What does it mean, if a function named cf_filter_packets will return TRUE or FALSE? That's the reason I've changed it to the error values.

What do you think about this?

Regards, ULFL