Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] telnet/authentication Kerberos stuff

From: "Eric Wedel" <ewedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:02:53 -0700
Hi..

You don't mention the context, so this might not apply.

Microsoft uses the ticket "target"'s principal name as salt
in their ADS keys, of the form
  HOST/[email protected]
where machine_name.dns.domain is the host's fully-qualified DNS name
and KERBEROS.REALM is the realm it is a member of.  Capitalization
is significant.

The name form shown above is munged a bit to get the salt value:
the '/' and '@' delimiters are removed, and the final salt value
is the resulting string, not including its trailing '\0'.
I believe this munging step is standard kerberos.

After you use this salt & the password to make a keytab entry,
the entry should be usable as-is.

Hope this is of some help.

regards, Eric