Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] help needed about capturing 802.11 packets

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:51:11 -0700
akshar SNIFFER wrote:

I wanted to install Ethereal on Linux ,for capturing 802.11b wireless
LAN packets .I have downloaded the libpcap library from the
tcpdump.org .Is it necessary for me to make some minor changes in the
libpcap library and then  recompile it or I can use it directly.

If you downloaded the latest version (0.8.3), you can use it directly.

Note, however, that most Linux systems come with libpcap already - and, unless you configure Ethereal with a --with-pcap option that points to where you've installed the libpcap you've built from source, when you compile Ethereal it might use the libpcap that came with the system.

Note also that the libpcap that comes with the system might be good enough for capturing 802.11 packets.

And also note that you won't be capturing in monitor mode by default:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.37

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.38