Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Windows Unicode build

From: "jscott" <jscott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:49:40 -0700
Guy Harris wrote:
> The answer is "either GPL the product or make sure that the product runs
> 'at arm's length' from Ethereal".  The ClearSight people originally
> linked with Ethereal code and did *NOT* GPL their software - that's not
> allowed.  They currently have a modified version of Ethereal that runs
> as, I think, an out-of-process COM server, and their non-GPLed
> application uses COM to control it.  ("Out-of-process" is critical - an
> in-process server counts as linking with Ethereal, and doing that means
> you have to GPL the application that's linking with it.)

Maybe I misunderstood the previous message about out-of-process use of
ethereal.  It seemed to say that using ethereal as an out-of-process server
would be legal and not require that the WP product be GPLed.  As I said
earlier, before anything is done publicly I'm sure that the lawyers will be
involved, and I don't think WP plans to try anything illegal.

Jim Scott