Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] m3ua message decoder

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:23:18 -0400

Robert Feri wrote:

hi

i've seen that ethereal supports m3ua messages, but i am looking for an open
source decoder that can decode everything in m3ua, not just some protocol
fields. Can anyone of you point me to source code of a m3ua decoder or at
least point me to this functionality built in ethereal ?

What do you mean?

Ethereal currently decodes M3UA messages (including, AFAIK, all the parameters). If the payload is ISUP or SCCP Ethereal then decodes the M3UA payload as either one of those protocols. For SCCP it will then (if the SSN is in the range [5-12]) decode the TCAP portion of the message and then possibly MAP.

If you're looking for an M3UA + SS7 protocol analyzer, Ethereal does a lot of that already (suggestions for improvements--or patches--are always welcome). If you're looking for a decoder library to use in an M3UA implementation, however, Ethereal will _not_ do that.