Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Having a hard time updating renamed Ethereal.desktop to ether

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:38:38 -0700
Olivier Biot wrote:

I even had to get rid of all references to all files matching the *NIX
shell pattern '?thereal.?esktop*' from CygWin. The steps CygWin SVN
users

...regardless of whether they're using MSVC++ or the Cygwin GCC...

need to undertake are:

1. Get rid of all files that match '?thereal.?esktop*':
   $ find . -name '?thereal.?esktop*' -exec rm -f "{}" ';'

	find . -name '?thereal.?esktop*' -print | xargs rm

should also work (and run fewer instances of "rm", for what it's worth, although if you have files with blanks in the name, that might not work - you might have to do

	find . -name '?thereal.?esktop*' -print0 | xargs -0 rm

so that the output of "find" and the input of "xargs" uses NULs rather than white space to separate file names.

Some file systems (FAT32/NTFS) only offer "weak" case sensitivity,
often for historic reasons (such as MS-DOS and FAT compatibility).

If by "'weak' case sensitivity" you mean that file name lookup is case-insensitive but file name creation preserves the case of files - i.e., you can create a file named "Hello, sailor", and code that reads a list of file names will see "Hello, sailor", but you can look it up as "Hello, sailor" or "hello, sailor" or "HELLO, SAILOR" or... - that's generally called "case preservation", and the file system is said to be case-preserving but case-insensitive.

VFAT, FAT32, and NTFS are all case-preserving but case-insensitive, as is HFS+ in Mac OS, by default (OS X 10.3 and later let you create an HFS+ file system that's case-sensitive, although I guess it's arguably HFSX rather than HFS+). That's why I had the same problem on Mac OS - my Ethereal development trees are stored on case-insensitive HFS+.

Classic FAT is case-insensitive but not case-preserving; most UN*X file systems are case-sensitive (and case-preserving).