Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Another glib version problem.

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
packet steve said:

> decode_as_dcerpc.c now uses g_string_printf (today's SVN).
>
> However glib 1.2.10 that I use doesn't have g_string_printf().
>
> Should remove g_string_printf()'s or require newer glib.

...or replace them with "g_string_sprintf()".

Any time the GLib 2.x documentation says

    Warning

    g_blahblahblah is deprecated and should not be used in newly-written
code.  This function has been renamed to g_foobar.

we should read it as, instead, saying

    Warning

    The GLib developers appear to have a tendency to rename routine names
they didn't like and then deprecate the old name and suggest that the
old name "should not be used in newly-written code", the fact that
some newly-written code that uses GLib is intended to continue to
support GLib 1.2[.x] nonwithstanding.  g_blahblahblah, not g_foobar,
should be used in newly-written code in any application that must
still build with GLib 1.2[.x].

I've checked in a change to use "g_string_sprintf()".