Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Check for heimdal fails due to sed call

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:08:12 -0700
Jean-Baptiste Marchand wrote:

I think this patch should be commited.

See my reply to Mårten's mail.

These days, to compile Kerberos decryption support with Heimdal on a
FreeBSD 5.x system, I have to edit configure to :
 - remove the two occurences of the 'i' flag in sed commands
 - remove the addition of -lresolv (resolv library), apparently not
   needed, at least with the version of heimdal shipped with FreeBSD.

The checkin that added that had the comment

	Workaround for (at least) some RedHat platforms:
	Add -lresolv in case it's missing but required by the heimdal libs.

so there apparently *are* platforms where it's needed.

The problem is that the test just checks whether -lresolv is missing, not whether it's missing *and* required.

The test we'd probably have to do would be to link some program with the Heimdal library without -lresolv and, if that fails, add -lresolv.

See, for example, the tests in AC_ETHEREAL_UCDSNMP_CHECK that checks whether -lsnmp needs particular additional libraries.