Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] Rev 11883: /trunk/gtk/: menu.c proto_draw.

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:38:35 -0700
Richard Sharpe wrote:

We currently don't have copy support in the edit menu, and it is not clear
what those would do (cut, copy, paste),

What they'd do depends on where the input focus is.

If it's in the packet list pane, I'd say that Copy should copy, as text (and possibly as a CSV list as well), the summary line for the currently selected packets to the clipboard. (Note the "s" in "packets"; we'd probably want to allow multiple packets to be selected, e.g. using Shift+click to extend the selection. If more than one packet is selected, the packet detail pane wouldn't show any packet, and menu items that would act on a single packet wouldn't be enabled.)

If it's in the packet detail pane, I'd say that Copy should copy, as text (and possibly other formats), the selected rows of the detail display to the clipboard. (Again, note the "s" in "rows". If more than one row is selected, the status bar wouldn't display anything about any field, and menu items that would act on a single field wouldn't be enabled.)

Other windows and panes might also support Copy.

In many windows, Cut, and Paste, wouldn't do anything. It might be difficult, if not impossible, to support editing in the packet detail window (what would it mean to remove a field from a packet or insert a field in a packet?). Cutting and pasting packets might be supportable in the packet list window, although making it work in a self-consistent fashion (e.g., if you move packets, the way some other packets are dissected might change) would probably be a lot of work, so we probably wouldn't do that at the same time we implement Copy.