Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] TCAP and non-standard SSNs

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:30:33 -0400

Bruce Fitzsimons wrote:
Hello,

I want to add support for non-standard SSNs into packet-tcap.c, but the limited range of pref types has me debating if I should:

a) Change all the current SSN's into numbers in a comma separated list e.g. a string, with all the validation hassles that entails OR b) Add 1-n integer fields for the SSNs, where n is a number sure to be 1 less than somone needs

Neither option makes me happy. (b) is easier, fer shure. (a) makes the current SSNs more explicit, but the validation hassles are not insignificant.

Also, should I support them being set in an environment variable (like some of the other dissectors use)?

I asked the same question last week ;-).  Here's the response I got:

http://ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200408/msg00074.html

which makes a lot of sense to me. Now I just need to find the time (this is unlikely to happen in the near-term so if you're going to actively work on it, go ahead!).