Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal 0.10.6 prerelease available

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:43:49 +0200
Ulf Lamping wrote:

|Gerald Combs wrote:
|
|> Prerelease versions of the Ethereal 0.10.6 source and installer
|> are now available at
|> http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/prerelease/ .
|
|I think this is a very good idea, as it seems to be a common problem,
|that every new release had some minor problems (and I wasn't innocent
|on some of the problems, yes I feel guilty).

I concur with Ulf.

|Do we want to announce the new version a bit more, to increase the
|test audience? Maybe a few days deferred?

Agreed. Maybe we should also propose a "last call" for filing bugs
against the release candidate.

|Two ideas how: put this note to the announce list, and put a news
|item on the webpage.

Agreed.

While we're at it, I uninstalled 0.10.5 and installed 0.10.6 release
candidate, and the only warnings I got, are harmless and already hint
the end-user what they should do:

** (ethereal.exe:1440): WARNING **: C:\Documents and
Settings\Eigenaar\Application Data\Ethereal\preferences line 182: No
such preference "asn1.tcp_port" (saving your preferences once should
remove this warning)

** (ethereal.exe:1440): WARNING **: C:\Documents and
Settings\Eigenaar\Application Data\Ethereal\preferences line 186: No
such preference "asn1.udp_port" (saving your preferences once should
remove this warning)

** (ethereal.exe:1440): WARNING **: C:\Documents and
Settings\Eigenaar\Application Data\Ethereal\preferences line 219: No
such preference "asn1.message_win" (saving your preferences once
should remove this warning)

Best regards,

Olivier