Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reviewed and updated "User's Guide" available

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:37:57 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:

We have version1.92 now...

Please continue reviewing ...

Title page: comma after Lamping

page i: authors' names strung together in copyright notice

3.2 tip should be:

When starting Ethereal it's possible to specify optional settings using
the command line. See ...

3.2 note: "different than" should be "different from". Last sentence
should be: "But as there are no real differences in functionality, these
screenshots should still be understandable."

3.3 tip should be: "... preference settings. See ..."

3.4 note should be: "Menu items will be greyed out if the corresponding
feature isn't available. For example, you cannot save a capture file if
you didn't capture or load any data before."

Descriptions under figure 3.2: run-on sentences. ", see" should be
". See".

"Each of these menu items are described" should be "Each of these menu
items is described".

3.4 tip: remove comma from "and the K keys together, to open"

Table 3.1:

Open Recent: remove comma in "Clicking on one of the submenu items, will
open"

Close: mention the new preference setting not to display the
prompt?

Export menu items: change "This menu item allows you to
export the (or some) of the packets" to "This menu item allows you to
export all, or some, of the packets".

Export > Selected Packet Bytes: change "into a binary file" to "to a
binary file".

Quit: remove comma in "capture file, if you haven't". Mention the new
preference setting not to display the prompt?

Table 3.2:

Find Next and Find Previous: remove comma after "packet,"

Mark Packet: run-on sentence. I suggest a semicolon instead of the
comma.

Table 3.3:

Coloring Rules: insert "to": "allows you to color packets"

Go to Packet: I suggest: "This menu item brings up a dialog box that
allows you to specify a packet number, and then goes to that packet. See
Section...".

Table 3.6:

Apply as Filter and Prepare a Filter: insert "to": "filter string will
be replaced or appended to by the selected protocol field"

3.13: I suggest: "As in the menu, only the items useful in the current
program state will be available. The others will be greyed out (e.g. you
cannot save a capture file if you haven't loaded one)."

Table 3.9:

Stop Capture: remove comma after "This icon is shown,"

Other items: as menu.

3.14: I suggest: "The background will turn red if you enter an
incomplete or invalid string, and will become green when you enter a
valid string. You can click on the pull down arrow to select a
previously-entered filter string from a list."

3.14: Remove apostrophe in "let's you edit".

3.15: "such as" would be preferable to "like" in "(like the Ethernet
addresses)" and "(like the IP addresses)". End of same sentence: insert
comma before "and so on."

3.15: I suggest: "Source The address this packet is coming from" and
"Destination The address this packet is going to".

3.15: "(perhaps abbreviated)" is preferable to "(maybe abbreviated)".

3.16: change to "The packet details pane shows the current packet
(selected in the "Packet List" pane) in a more detailed form."

3.16 Generated fields: I suggest: "The information in these fields is
derived from the known context of other packets in the capture file."

3.17: I suggest: "in the middle the packet data is shown in a
hexadecimal representation".

3.17: remove comma in "bottom of the pane, to let you select the page
you want to see."

3.17: remove comma in "This can be helpful, if the size in the pane"

Figure 3.18: "the elapsed time while it was being captured."