Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Desegment/Reassemble: What's the real difference?

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:25:33 -0400
I believe "desegmentation" is used when referring to gluing together PDUs that have been broken up by TCP segmentation, whereas "reassembly" usually refers generically to PDUs broken up by other types of fragmentation (such as IP fragmentation).

Off the top of my head, though, I don't recall what "defragmentation" implies, at least in the context of the "Defragment all RPC-over-TCP messages" RPC preference.

Are there other examples that I'm forgetting about? Or places where the labelling is inconsistent? You're right, though, there should be a defined set of jargon, and it should be consistent throughout the platform.

Ian