Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] USE_THREADS on Win32

From: "Gisle Vanem" <giva@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 17:48:44 +0200
"Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:

> main.c:
> The definition USE_THREADS won't be set anywhere, so your changes won't
> take any effect ?!?
> Has this to be added to the config.h.win32 file?

Yes, or to config.nmake.

> You shouldn't remove hints about problems detected in earlier versions:
> /* multithread support currently doesn't seem to work in win32 gtk2.0.6 */
> otherwise this has to be tested all again and again and again and ...

Well, I use GTK+ 2.4.3 and haven't seen any problems with threads
yet...

> webbrowser.c:
> Why is webbrowser.c compiled faster when another header file is included?!?

No, it compiles faster if WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN is defined. Thus <windows.h>
doesn't include all kind of crap we don't need. Except for the case of webbrowser.c
and print_mswin.c where <shellapi.h> and <winspool.h> is needed.

But I quess you who use MSVC also use precompiled headers, so the speed
isn't noticeable. But it matters for MingW/gcc which doesn't have PCH yet (and
hearing the problem with PCH in gcc 3.4+, it be a long time untill we have it).

--gv