Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Disabling GTK-Wimp on older versions of Windows, to avoid errors

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:43:16 -0700
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:33:10AM +0100, Graham Bloice wrote:
> I did try using gtk-wimp on an NT4 system and got a command prompt with tons
> of entries such as:
>
> 'Couldn't load font "MS Sans Serif 8" falling back to "Sans 8"'
>
> There were many, many entries when opening menu's etc, that took a lot of
> CPU cycles (100% CPU for > 5 seconds when opening the Edit | Preferences
> menu on a PII 400).  Removing the gtk-wimp stuff fixed this.
>
> In the light of this I think that the installer shouldn't install the
> gtk-wimp stuff on NT4.

I had the exact same experience; I didn't see any bugs filed about that
on the GTK-Wimp SourceForge site.

A Google for

	"gtk-wimp" nt4

found:

	http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/faq.html

which says:

	o I installed Gimp 2.0 on Windows 9x/ME or NT 4, and I'm getting
	  a lot of messages saying ** (gimp-2.0.exe:4294830849): WARNING
	  **: Couldn't load font "MS Sans Serif 8" falling back to "Sans 8".
	  What should I do?
	o You have two options:
	     o Go to Control Panel->Display properties->Apperance tab, and
	       set all fonts to Tahoma (or any other TrueType font).
	     o Uninstall GTK+ 2.2.4, then re-install it without the GTK-Wimp
	       component.

and a Google for

	"gtk-wimp" "ms sans"

found