Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] A problem on a Sony Vaio Laptop X1RSP - WinX

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:29:44 -0400
The fact that this question comes up so often, though it's addressed in the FAQ, implies one or more of several things:

- Users are not bothering to read available information
- Users cannot understand the information provided
- There's a difficiency in the existing documentation/FAQ, making it difficult to read and/or find information related to a specific problem - The product is not intuitive enough for users to understand why this problem occurs.

There's certainly other reasons, too, but I'd suspect the problem stems from a combination of these reasons.

If nothing else, we could probably improve on this last point. Would it make sense, perhaps, for the user to be presented a popup window in the event that no interfaces are listed, explaining what the possible causes for the problem are? The message would need to be able to be disabled (perhaps include a checkbox labelled "do not show this message again", which is checked by default).

I'd imagine such a feature would free up quite a few of Guy's cycles to work on things more worthy of his skills & time =)

Ian