Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] DOCSIS Packet Analysis

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:04:02 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:35:28PM -0700, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> > If you would like I could come up with a list much as I did when I
> > corroborated with SIGTEK to do the samething back in 2001.  But basically I
> > am looking for a way to read out the same values that sigtek would with
> > their ST260FileProc.  Under their View tab with a Delimited Report Setup
> > which when chosen opens a window that allows you to choose the parameters
> > under the headings "General Frame Params", "Ext. Headert Params", "PDU and
> > MMM Params", "MMM TLV Params", "IP Parameters", and "Raw Data".  Each of
> > these headers have a number of items under them that you can select or
> > deselect parameters under each and then save to either a Tab or Comma
> > Delimited file.  Which then can be analyzed under Excel or some other
> > spreadsheet program.  I can provide a complete list of the items SIGTEK
> > parses if you want as that is essentially what would be required.  Please
> > let me know.  Thanks.
>
> The Ethereal equivalent of the window that allows you to choose the
> parameters would probably be a list of fields, similar to the one in the
> "Add Expression" dialog, to let you select packet fields, as this
> function should not be specific to DOCSIS (I think people not analyzing
> DOCSIS have asked for this).

I think that it would be good to have some possibility to "Export as CVS...", maybe by selecting some
file that specifies what fields should be output, so you don't have to select them each time you want to export.

The main problem as I see it that a packet and/or PDU may contain several instances of a certain field.
I don't know yet how the "Export as CVS..." should handle that. For example one Ethernet frame may contain
a TCP segment with several H.225 PDUs (or parts of several H.225 PDUs).
It might be good to have each H.225 PDU as a separate line in the CVS file.
But then there is some fields that may appear several times in a H.225 PDU, and so on ...