Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] The Capture session could not be initiated (( no devices foun

From: Noah Misch <noah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:41:45 -0700
On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:39:08PM -0700, Ray Mason wrote:
> I'm trying to run ethereal on my MAC running OSX 10.3 and it looks like
> this device does not exist.  I found the following on one of your FAQ's:
>

> On BSD, note that you need to have BPF support enabled in your kernel;
> see the documentation for your system for information on how to enable
> BPF support (if it's not enabled by default on your system).
>
> Do you have any notes on how I can enable this support on OSX 10.3?

You probably need to run ethereal as root (``sudo ethereal'' and enter your user
password).  That's what I had to do for ethereal 0.9.6 on Mac OS X 10.1, and
your error message suggests a similar issue.

I suppose ``chmod 666 /dev/bpf0'' might also work, and that could be safer if
your system is not many-user.