Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [gtk2] Refresh problem in the Captured packets dialog boxy

From: Jean-Baptiste Marchand <Jean-Baptiste.Marchand@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:53:33 +0200
* Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Jean-Baptiste Marchand said:
> > ethereal 0.10.4 (CVS 20040606104911)
> > Compiled with GTK+ 2.4.2, with GLib 2.4.2, with libpcap 0.7+multidlt,
> > with libz 1.1.4, with libpcre 4.4, with Net-SNMP 5.1, without ADNS.
>
> Where's the rest of the information Ethereal reported - i.e., the "Running
> with" information?

ethereal 0.10.4 (CVS 20040606104911)
Compiled with GTK+ 1.2.10, with GLib 1.2.10, with libpcap 0.7+multidlt,
with libz 1.1.4, with libpcre 4.4, with Net-SNMP 5.1, without ADNS.

Running with libpcap (version unknown) on FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3.

> > More precisely, the timer at the bottom of the dialog box is only
> > refreshed when packets are captured (if, for instance, no packets are
> > captured during 5 seconds, the timer is not updated and the window is
> > not refreshed).
>
> You might be running on an OS whose packet capture mechanism has no
> timeouts *OR* whose packet capture mechanism has timeouts *BUT* the
> timeout starts as soon as the first packet is seen (e.g., Solaris) *AND*
> that's not one of the platforms on which Ethereal defines MUST_DO_SELECT.
>
> However, the only OSes on which it currently *doesn't* define
> MUST_DO_SELECT are {Free,Net,Open}BSD, BSD/OS (presumed to define
> __bsdi__), Mac OS X (presumed to define __APPLE__), Win32 (_WIN32
> defined), and Cygwin (__CYGWIN__ defined).
>
> The "Running on" information should indicate what OS you're using.

So, I'm running FreeBSD 5.x.

Note that I don't have the problem with a GTK1 build, the timer is
correctly refreshed, even with no traffic.

Jean-Baptiste Marchand
--
Jean-Baptiste.Marchand@xxxxxx
HSC - http://www.hsc.fr/