Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] FW: building ethereal with MSVC

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:04:32 +0200
Michael Oliveras wrote:

I think the first one did not go out as plain text -- sorry

I have been building ethereal under linux for some time, and am trying to get a build working under MSVC.

I am trying to use the "nmake -f makefile.nmake setup" command to automatically load all of the libs I need.

the problem I am having is that bash is not found unless I have cygwin installed. I shouldn't need cygwin at all since I do not want to build under cygwin. I have bash installed under c:\bin.

Cygwin is used by me and others, to get all the unixish tools needed to build Ethereal (bash, sed, ...). The compiler and nmake from MSVC are used anyway.

I tried modifying my config.nmake to make SH=c:\bin\bash and several combinations, however for every case I get "bash not found".

Can someone give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong or maybe send me a sample config.nmake file?

As it's not often tested, there might be places in the build process, where the bash is called directly (not using the $SH). Could you tell us where the "bash not found" message is shown (command line output), to give a hint where to look at?

Just for interest: if you don't use cygwin, where is your bash coming from?

Regards, ULFL