Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [RFC] specially mark protocol fields "generated" by Ethereal?

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:21:57 -0400

On Apr 24, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Michael Tuexen wrote:

Hi,

it is an interesting question. I was assuming that in the middle pane the
protocol fields are displayed in the sequence they appear in the packet
(and related to the layer in the stack).

This is generally true, but totally depends on whether the dissector was implemented that way. I'd say it's also a general practice that if a field refers to "real data" in a packet, that the byte(s) matching that range are highlighted when the field is selected - in that way you can see which bytes are related to a particular field. This also means that if no bytes are marked a user can often infer that there are no bytes in the packet that are being directly decoded to generate a particular field (and that this is most likely a "synthetic" field).

The dissectors I'm very familiar with all tend to do this, but there's definitely no hard and fixed rule, or any code requirement. I don't think these are even documented in the README.developer as general "good practices" or "conventions" when building a dissector. Perhaps they should be?