Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: GUI layout preference, 1st proposal

From: Jason House <jhouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:03:04 -0400
Being a bit late in responses is the curse of daily digests... I see now that you posted your changes before I responded to the proposal. The real gist of my post was that users may want to have something other than 3 items displayed at a time. Rather than just say a few vague words, I tried to create a layout that would handle it. There is also the possibility of adding more pictures to your design, but the question becomes where to stop... Allowing the option to only display one or two items adds only 3 more pictures. The most common way to handle 4 items would be to split the window into quadrants...

I don't have a whole lot of GTK experience. Do such things as vpanes and hpanes exist? I guess that even if they don't the meaning would have be clear. You are right that panes only accept two items, but just like the original ethereal GUI, there are ways to acceptably handle more than 2.

Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Jason House wrote:
I think the dialog is very simple and very powerful. I unfortunately am tempted by feature creep! ...

Well, you're a bit late ... ;-)

I've already implemented the layout preference page, as you might have noticed.

I think your proposal is a bit too complex, without gaining a lot additional functionality.

BTW: it's not as simple using as using just vboxes/hboxes, you might have noticed the possibility to change the size of the widgets. It's done using gtk panes, but unfortunately the panes can only handle two content areas, not more.

Regards, ULFL