Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFC: add option to change main GUI layout like in Analyzer pr

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping said:
> I would like to add a setting in the recent file, and change between the
>  traditional and this new layout with the menu item "View->Packet
> Details  and Bytes Side by Side" (does someone know a better name?).

Packetyzer:

    http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer/

defaults to

    DDDD LLLL
    DDDD LLLL
    DDDD BBBB
    DDDD BBBB

but I prefer the classic layout - which they offer as well; see the second
toolbar in the screenshot at

    http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer/images/ss_capture.gif

with the two buttons to the right of the trash can - those select the layout.

Microsoft Network Monitor lets you get rid of the detail and hex dump
panes by double-clicking on the summary pane - doing so again brings them
back.  It also has toolbar items to let you eliminate panes - those
buttons "stick" when pushed in, so if you push them again the they "pop
out" and the pane comes back.  (If you try to push in all three, it says
"You can't close down ALL panes!", or something such as that - I might
have gotten the verb wrong, but I think the capitalized "ALL" was there
and the exclamation point was definitely there.)

A GUI that lets you drag the panes around might be nice, but it might also
be hard to implement.