Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFC: add option to change main GUI layout like in Analyzer pr

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:51:41 -0500
On Tuesday 27 April 2004 13:37, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I'm currently thinking about Ethereals GUI layout in general.
>
> After having a look at the Analyzer program (from the same people as
> WinPCap), I've got the idea to layout the three main panes (packet list,
> packet details, packet bytes) in a different way.
>
> Currently my Ethereal main window will typically look like (L: packet
> list, D: packet details, B: packet bytes):
>
> LLLLLLL
> LLLLLLL
> DDD
> DDD
> BBB
>
> So a lot of screen space at the bottom right edge is usually empty. The
> Analyzer program puts the panes differently than Ethereal:
>
> LLLLLLL
> LLLLLLL
> DDDBBB
> DDDBBB
>
> ...you hopefully get the idea.
>
> This results in much better usage of the screen space (although a bit
> uncommon).
>
> I've implemented the change of the layout in my personal source tree
> (changed only one single line of code in main.c, thanks to GTK :-),
> and tried this for some days now. It seems to be very useful, at least
> for me.
>
> I would like to add a setting in the recent file, and change between the
> traditional and this new layout with the menu item "View->Packet Details
> and Bytes Side by Side" (does someone know a better name?).
>
> What do others think of this?

yes, optional layouts would be nice. For a long time I've wanted:

LLLLDDDD
LLLLDDDD
BBBBDDDD
BBBBDDDD

or

LLLLDDDD
LLLLDDDD
LLLLBBBB
LLLLBBBB

Putting the packet list next to the protocol tree only makes sense for big
screens, but I run my screen at 1600x1200. It makes a big difference if what
you're interested in is looking at a long list of packets (the L's) or a
long, fully opened protocol dissection (the D's).

The point is, we could have more than 2 different layout options.

--gilbert