Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Thanks for Ethereal!

From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:54:11 -0000
Hi good people!

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to Ethereal for such a nice
program. I am a Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) contributing
developer and in the last task I took upon myself to do, I had to write
another handler to the repository-access vtable which involved protocol
extensions on both the HTTP/WebDAV/DeltaV protocol and the custom Subversion
protocol.

My extensions did not work right after they were fully isolated. And the
problem was that I could not see what I just wrote to the stream. So I used
Ethereal (for the first time) to record the conversations. After some
experimenting, I found out how to display them in a nice format, which
allowed me to see where the output went wrong. That way, with the help of
Ethereal and gdb, I was able to eliminate these bugs, and end up with a fully
working code.

So thanks for taking the effort in developing such a convenient program. It is
really impressive. I'm looking forward to making further use of it when the
need arises.

Best regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: feel free to add this to your "success stories" or "what others have to
say" sections, in case you have such on your homepage.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxx