Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] MSVC shared object build

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:20:54 +0200
Hi List,

As the shared library build works on cygwin since the library now only
contains *known* symbols (self-contained library), I suggest we give the
MSVC++ libethereal.dll build another try.

I would however not yet try to build libethereal.dll as such for official
releases, as it is definitely not multithread-safe and MS explicitly demands
shared libraries to be MT-safe (I think it has to do with the data portion
controlled by the DLL in case multiple applications use the DLL at the same
time -- pls correct me if I am wrong).

In order to make libethereal.dll MT-safe, we need to provide at a minimum a
means for controlling the dissection state information on a per-process base
(per-thread if you want).

Regards,

Olivier