Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Is it possible to build Ethereal with the MSVC++ Toolkit 2003

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:32:58 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Biot Olivier

| |
| |Biot Olivier wrote:
| || Hi list,
| ||
| || 2. How do we technically proceed as I understood from previous
| |postings that
| || there were incompatibilities between libraries compiled with
| |different
| || versions of MSVC++?
| |
| |IIRC the blurb said there were only static libraries included in
the
| |free version. Hence there should be no library issues, but will
create
| |big executables.
|
| I see. However this may be an interesting path to walk, no? If I
look at the
| size of the binaries and executables (I manually added NMAKE 1.5
from the
| link posted previously).
|
| |The incompatible library warnings usually refer to the VC7 version
of
| |MSVCRT.DLL, which M$ say you should distribute with your
application in
| |its install directory, and NOT put in the system. That seems to be
the
| |one that triggers all the license problems.
|
| We can avoid this problem by statically linking the provided .lib
objects,
| right?

Some updates:

After reading README.win32 and updating config.nmake according to my
setup, I tried the initial make:

C:\cygwin\home\Eigenaar\ethereal\Win32\ethereal>nmake -f
Makefile.nmake setup

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

Makefile.nmake(7) : fatal error U1052: file 'win32.mak' not found
Stop.

A quick search on www.microsoft.com for "win32.mak not found" leads to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;133249 but
this doesn't help me as it does not apply to the MSVC++ Toolkit 2003.
Another hint is given that it is part of the Microsoft windows
Platform SDK.
The MS Win Platform SDK can be found at:
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
I selected the "Core SDK: Build Environment" (31MB) for a start and
hope this will work, but this takes ages to complete (even on my
broadband link).

Any comments?

Regards,

Olivier