Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] PDML / PSML (HTML) export feature in Analyzer

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:10:01 +0200
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> After adding the PDML output into the print dialog, I had a closer look,
> how Analyzer had implemented it's XML/HTML feature.
>
> Analyzer http://analyzer.polito.it/ (alpha version: Mar 16th 2004) has
> two export formats regarding the PDML things:
>
> -PDML export, "only" the XML data file of the packets exported, just
> like the format we do it today in Ethereal
> -HTML export
>

> The HTML export is doing the following:
> a) generation of a PDML file (exactly like above), see:
> http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/docs/dissectors/PDMLSpec.htm
> b) generation of a PSML file, no file format specs currently available
> online
> c) generation/copying of some additional files like html, css, js, ...
>
> to b) the PSML file contains the data of the packet list window, it has
> an easy to understand XML formatting
> to c) all the additional files doesn't contain capture related data,
> only some filenames (links) are adapted while exporting
>
> This HTML export will provide a webpage, showing the packet data just
> like in the Ethereal window, using a three pane window.
> As it's using XSL transformations and such, this will work only with
> recent browsers (I've tested this with MS-IE 6.0 and Mozilla 1.6).
> It's some sort of a simple "read-only" packet viewer.
>
> This HTML export looks very promissing to me, we might want to adopt
> this into Ethereal. The additional things to do would be to generate the
> PSML file,
> which shouldn't be too hard to achieve, and a way of handling the
> additional files.
>
> I've included a sample webpage, so you can see how the exported HTML
> page looks like.
>
> Regards, ULFL
>
> P.S: the Analyzer things are considered alpha, so the formats might
> change in the future

Carsten Buchenau wrote a mail in January this year that he was (and maybe
still is) working on
rewriting Hethereal to use PDML/PSML.
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200401/msg00263.html

Hethereal is an HTML/Javascript Interface to Ethereal that was written
several years ago by Carsten and some others.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200104/msg00201.html

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200104/msg00151.html