Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] [RFC] Proposal for Print, Save and Export functionality

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:33:57 +0200
Hi list,

As we're discussing the print/save/export topics, I propose the following:

The "Print" menu item deals with producing paper output only. This way,
"print to file" means producing a file containing printer output which can
later be fed to a printer. The "Print" menu leads to a generic "print"
dialog (almost identical to the one we have today), which may present a 2nd
OS-specific print dialog (as is the case in Win32 and maybe other OSes too).

The "Save" and "Save As" menu items deal with saving the packet capture to a
file so it can later be processed again by Ethereal.

The "Export" menu item deals with exporting information derived from the
packets to a file.

The menu tree I see is:
/File/Save As... --> Same "Save As" dialog as we have today (choose packet
file format and packets to save).
/File/Print --> No PS output (unless we agree that PS is always a printer
output format), no PDML output.
/File/Export --> New dialog similar to the current Print dialog, where
output format is either text (allow choosing the line end sequence), PS,
[PDF?], PDML, [HTML?].

Please comment!

Regards,

Olivier