Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Added a "No dissections" option to the printingdialog

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:04:05 +0200
From: Ulf Lamping

| Hi List!
|
| I've recently added a "No dissections" option to the print dialog.

Great!

| As the name implies, this option will suppress any dissection from
the
| output.
|
| This can be very handy, when trying to export a raw packet hexdump.

That's correct. However there's a small issue in the dialog. By
default the "Packet details" checkbox is checked and the "dissections
as displayed" radio button is selected. If I uncheck the "Packet
details" checkbox and then click on the only active radio button left
("No dissections"), I cannot revert by having this radio button
unselected... unless I first check again the "Packet details" checkbox
and then choose another option for the radiobutton group.

Maybe we need to find other wordings for the "Packet details" and "No
dissections" as I find the usage of the former rather cumbersome. Or
should we rewrite that "Packet Format" widget so it is closer to what
will be output to a printer/file? We can choose between the following
"objects":
a. packet summary line
b. packet dissection (the protocol tree)
    b1. all collapsed
    b2. as displayed
    b3. all expanded
c. hex dump

I would use check boxes for a, b and c, and a radio button group for
(b1, b2, b3) which would be active if and only if check box b is
ticked. I see that it can make sense to enable a, b and c
independently. We can also make the "Print" button sensitive to the
condition "a selected || b selected || c selected" as pronting a blank
sheet of paper does not make sense to me :)

What's the opinion of the list on this?

Regards,

Olivier