Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight/GPL update

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Gerald Combs wrote:

> Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
>
> > That was about bloody time.
> >
> > 1, I assume Analyzer works fine even if you do not install Ethereal on the
> > host?
>
> That's correct, although Analyzer can't decode as much traffic.

I guess the question here is:

  Is the clearsight package really able to function without Ethereal?

In addition, whether or not OLE serves to sufficiently distance Ethereal
from the ClearSight product depends on the implementation technique. If it
uses any form of dynamic linking, then I think they still have a problem
with theirs being a derived work. However, I am not familiar enough with
OLE to be able to say.

Regards
-----