Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] what about a wiki-page for ethereal

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:34:54 +1000
What about setting up a wiki page where users can create new pages and
update with
tips and tricks ?   I know several people that would really like to
contribute to ethereal but are not software developers.
This could give them a forum where they can contribute back and provide help
for others.

One thing I have talked with some people about is a sort of webpage where
people can add pages for interesting
display filters, something like a page with
   Name of filter/filters
   Short description of the filter, what it does and why it is useful.
   Example screenshot(s) of the filter in action.
   a link to a txt file containing the filter one can click on to download
it for later import into ethereal.

Other things could be example screenshorts and examples on how to use
IO-Graph or other features.

Tips and tricks,   descriptions on how to parse and the process of analyzing
a trace?
A place to upload interesting example captures and text detailing what is
interesting in that trace and how to process
the trace?

Gerald? what do you think?

My vision would be an area where we have some sort of version control system
on the wikipage with some volunteers that
monitor all changes others have done so that abusers and defacings can be
countered.
I would like such an area where there would be no accesscontrol at all and
everyone that feels the needs can go and update
the pages.
If it shows that it would be abused we could later add some login procedure
to only allow authenticated users to work on the pages.
But it would be preferable to not have it since i think even the procedure
of applying for access would make it too much work for
causal contributors so they wouldnt add their ideas.