Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] The Makefile problem: how to compile newly added dissector

From: "Wei Li (Michael)" <mich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:44:35 -0500
I am a newbie here, I have a couple of questions:

I tried to incorporate a new dissector into ethereal (0.10.2) and build it all. As instructed, I updated the Makefile.common in the top directory. However, the makefile does not recognize my new dissector file and left it uncompiled. I used to work on (0.10.0a) and there was no such problem although the makefile updates was a bit different from now (update Makefile.am and Makefile.nmake in the top directory). Please help me out.

Another question, I cannot load the executable "ethereal" or "tethereal" into GDB for debugging when I was working on version 0.10.3 (GDB complains that they are not in executable format). There is no such problem with the previous versions. I did notice the executable file size of "ethereal" or "tethereal" is much smaller than those in previous versions.

Thanks! I appreciate it.